Being a Guinness World Records holder is no easy feat because of commitment, determination, and extraordinary skills. A brand may benefit greatly from breaking a record in the Guinness Book of World Records since it will generate a lot of attention and buzz.
Take, for example, the Guinness Record for longest cooking hours broken by Hilda Baci, a Nigerian-based chef. Still yet to be announced as a record-breaking winner by Guinness, Baci has received enormous support from Nigerians at home and abroad. Many brands are now supporting her feat by giving her freebies.
Setting world records may be a very effective visual marketing tool and attract a lot of attention to a company. Your brand can choose to collaborate with an individual who is highly skilled and determined to succeed in breaking a Guinness World Record.
In this article, we will show you how you can maximize the impact of Guinness World Records on your brand. You will learn how to apply for one on behalf of an individual and the necessary marketing tactics to boost your brand’s visibility.
How To Apply For Guinness World Record
As a brand, you want to make sure that you get ahead of the curve when including breaking a Guinness World record as part of your marketing strategy.
As said earlier, your brand does not necessarily need to be the one breaking the record. But, you can collaborate with and sponsor a talented and dedicated individual who is willing to do so.
Here is a step-by-step on how you can apply for a Guinness World Record:
1. Research: Visit the official Guinness World Records website to conduct research and look up previous records as well as the standards and categories.
2. Select a Record: Choose a record category that fits your unique combination of abilities, interests, and capabilities. Make sure the criteria are precise and measurable.
3. Guinness World Records can be reached by: using the online application form on their website. Describe your record attempt in detail, mentioning the category, the evidentiary required, and any particular rules.
4. Proposal Review: Guinness World Records will review your application and propose guidelines and evidence criteria. Make any necessary adjustments or clarifications to ensure compliance.
5. Evidence Gathering: Prepare the required evidence to support your record attempt. This could include videos, photos, witness statements, and other documentation as specified by Guinness World Records.
6. Record Attempt: Conduct your record attempt following the approved guidelines. Ensure all rules are followed, and have witnesses present to verify the attempt.
7. Documentation: Capture high-quality evidence during the attempt. Keep records of all documentation, including witness statements, photographs, videos, and other relevant evidence.
8. Submit Documentation: Submit your evidence and documentation to Guinness World Records as per their instructions. Follow their guidelines for file formats, sizes, and submission methods.
9. Verification Process: Guinness World Records will review your evidence to verify if the record has been successfully achieved. This process may take several weeks.
10. Record Certification: If your record is approved, you will receive an official Guinness World Records certificate recognizing your achievement. You may also have the opportunity to be featured in their publications or media channels.
Remember to carefully follow the guidelines and instructions provided by Guinness World Records throughout the application and verification process.
Why Should Brands Attempt A Guinness World Record Title
Sir Hugh Beaver, the managing director of the Guinness Brewery, unintentionally created Guinness World Records (GWR) during a disagreement about the speed of birds’ flight at a shooting party in County Wexford.
In 1954, the McWhirter twins, who were investigators based in Fleet Street, were approached to gather factual information for pubs. This endeavor eventually led to the publisher’s growth into the recognized authority for recording and setting benchmarks for records.
Humans are naturally fascinated and excited by exceptional accomplishments. Achieving something remarkable and finding inspiration brings people and communities together.
When examining world records from a sales-driven perspective, one might wonder why companies and brands don’t utilize this form of friendly competition more extensively for their product positioning and communication.
Marketing campaigns thrive on captivating content. Registering, preparing for, and ultimately attempting to set a new Guinness World Record or break an existing one presents numerous opportunities to generate relevant, diverse, and engaging content.
Whether it’s launching a new product, commemorating a company’s anniversary, or adding excitement to a corporate event, pursuing a Guinness World Record offers brands endless possibilities to grab attention, generate publicity, and create a buzz within their respective industries.
You can choose to sponsor the individual or collaborate with other brands to do so. It will always generate the right publicity for you.Being officially ranked No. 1 in the world will probably make you feel quite fantastic, and you’ll probably want to spread the word about it widely. It’s thrilling to even witness someone else attain that awesome feat.
An Example Of A Brand’s Attempt
LG Electronics is one of the many brands that brilliantly used a GWR to launch a new washing machine by collaborating with a talented individual.
LG collaborated with professional card stacker and GWR holder, Bryan Barg, to prove that a house of cards can be built on top of a machine while running. The tallest house of cards was built in 12 hours.
This feat attracted more than a hundred million views and ended up winning a bronze in the Brand Film Festival in London.
Brands with experiential components are excellent because they can engage their audience and provide them with a special experience.
No matter the result, attempting to break a Guinness World Record makes a strong statement about a brand’s worth to both internal and external audiences. Success or failure, your efforts won’t be in vain.
Whether or not the brand succeeds, driving promotion around a record-breaking event on social media is very advantageous. The event can unite supporters, customers, and marketers, driving promotion and favourable brand sentiment. By recording the entire event on video, this involvement is increased.
You can also hire the services of an agency to help you in achieving your goals.